Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Queen Silvia


Finished blocking the Queen Silvia shawl. This pattern can be found in Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush. I used Modern 16 - Round Lace Edge from the back of the book, and added 2 extra repeats to the pattern. That means for the mathletes out there it ended up with 30 x 13 edging pattern repeats plus the 4 corner points. Finished size is 27" x 60 inches while it's still pinned out! I really enjoyed this pattern - especially the 5 stitch gather! I had a bunch of trouble with this one while swatching and then realized that you get a much clearer stitch if you make one small change. On the row before you do the "gather", take each of the stitches to be gathered and instead of just purling the stitch, wrap the yarn around the needle twice before you take the stitch off. Then on the next row lift the 5 stitches so that you get rid of the extra loop, this give you 5 perfect and very large stitches and makes the process so much easier...this is probably clear as mud until you try it!

6 comments:

gudrun said...

the shawl looks really wonderful!!!
greetings - gudrun

twistedspinner said...

Deborah - that is gorgeous! Wonderful color and the needle size/openness is "spot on". You should be proud!

Jane said...

OMG - it's amazing. Congrats!

larascreations said...

Every time this catches my eye I start thinking of casting on for one.....it's sooooo pretty.

Must wait for now.....and just admire yours :-)

Knitting-twitter said...

after seeing your beautiful scarf, I have just decided to knit it too.. thank you very much for turning this foggy Sunday here in Switzerland into a really bright one - after seeing all your treasures.. ciao ciao Chrissy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tip on the gathered stitch. I am off to try it myself!